How much of our time do we spend feeling annoyed by something someone else has said or done?
Maybe it was a passing comment or a snide remark? Or maybe they did something really unacceptable and we just keep going over and over the event in our head.
Without realising, whatever they said or did has taken over our mood and we can’t seem to shift it. We’re just spiralling deeper and deeper into whatever our personal favourite yucky emotional state is.
Letting it go is easy to say, particularly when we feel stuck. Yet it can make a profound difference to our state of mind – and our day in general.
If you need help to let it go, this visualisation works well. Use it to let go of something specific that someone has said or done to annoy you or upset you. I rarely get time to myself with two young boys running around, so I sometimes do this visualisation when I’m in the shower – where it’s particularly effective!
- Find somewhere that you won’t be disturbed for 10 minutes. Sit or lie down comfortably and allow your eyes to close. Take a few deep breaths, breathing in from your diaphragm (lower lungs, near your belly button). As you breathe out, quietly say the sound “aah…”, like a big sigh, and feel the tension leaving your body.
- When you’re feeling more relaxed, imagine you area walking through a beautiful wood, with a winding path. You feel completely safe and secure and you can feel the gentle sunlight warming your body as you walk through the dappled light of the trees. As you walk slowly, you notice the sounds around you. Perhaps you can hear the breeze rustling the leaves, maybe there are some birds singing up above. Whatever you can hear, just enjoy it. Really notice the colours, shapes and textures around you in the wood and the sound of the path under your feet. Notice the details, even down to the smells of walking through this wonderfully relaxing wood.
- You come to a small pool with a beautiful waterfall feeding it and you notice this is no ordinary waterfall: it is like a shower of golden white light.
- You feel drawn to stand under this waterfall of light and notice the wonderfully refreshing feeling as it pours over you. Imagine it is literally washing away whatever it is you have come here to release. See the dark flow of what you are releasing washing away from you, flowing into the pool, like dirty dish water down a drain, and dissolving into golden white water.
- After the dark flow has finished, notice how the waterfall changes colour, to be a gentle silver violet light. As you stand under this light, feel it flooding through you, filling any voids left by what you have released, leaving you feeling relieved, refreshed and happier. Stay under the waterfall for as long as you wish.
- When you are ready, thank the waterfall and return to your path through the woods, heading back towards home. With each step, become gradually more aware of your surroundings, feeling lighter, more energised and happier as you return to fully conscious awareness.
Notice how different you feel.
Wasn’t that worth 10 minutes of your time?